Chade-Meng Tan, an engineer by training and todays Google “Jolly Good Fellow” discusses compassion as the source of happiness and the source of growth for a good-to-great company.
Generating Level 5 Leaders (as discussed in Jim Collins’ book Good to Great): humble and driven
Compassion comprises: (from Ted Talk slides)
- Affective - “I feel for you”
- Cognitive - “I understand you”
- Motivational - “I want to help you”
The link between Level 5 Leaders and Compassion?
- Humble Quality - Affective and Cognitive Component
- Driven Quality - Motivational Component
The link between Happiness and Compassion?
- Perhaps its as simple as “practice what you preach” or The Golden Rule, “that which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow” or just finding a balance, practice compassion and accept it from others.
Few factors, many sub-components.